So, it seems that our kids need to be taught information literacy skills. And to do that we need to embed information literacy instruction across the curriculum, right? For that to happen we need our resident information literacy expert, our TL, to collaborate with teachers. Okay, so we all agree.....then why isn't it happening??????
As I continue to read about all the reaons for teachers not wanting to collaborate - lack of time, personality clashes, not wanting to change, etc - I want to bang my head against the wall.
I think it's time to put out the Bat signal. Batman I hope you can do something to change things!
As a parent, I want the best education for my child. Teachers personalities, refusal to change and lack of interest in what's best for the kids means that my children are not developing the information literacy skills that they need.
As a library student I have volunteered in a junior school (prep- year 2) that had collaboration and information literacy so entrenched that you didn't even realise it was there. There was certainly never any question of the TL missing a year level planning meeting due to lack of time, or a lack of willingness from the teachers to have her help. It was expected. End of story. No rocket science involved, and no superheroes needed. I know there are many similar schools out there doing wonderful things. There are also many who are not.
So, my dear TL friends...no more excuses. Get to it, or I'll be calling Batman!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.